Thursday, April 14, 2016

Digital Photography - Shutter Speed A

Shutter Speed Project

A shutter is essentially a device on a camera to allow varying amounts of light in to change the nature of an image. On a digital camera, the shutter has two main functions, which is controlling the amount of light, as well as giving a sense of motion to the photo. The longer the shutter is open, which is the slower the speed, the more light comes in, with less "noise" visible in the shot. On the other hand, with a faster shutter speed, which means that the shutter is not open as long, less light will come into the photo.

Faster shutter speeds are used for motion shots, as it won't have as much of a blur effect (or an effect at all) on the image, while slower shutter speeds will blur the image.

Digital Contact Print:

I chose the circled photos as my freeze motion images because I think the fast shutter speed really works well to emphasize the movement. I chose the photos that have rectangular boundaries around them as my blur motion photos because I felt that they emphasized the motion and movement of the subject.




BLUR MOTION/ SLOW SHUTTER SPEED



I chose this first image to blur because it showed Tushar running, which made sense to blur his arms and legs to give the sense that he was moving very fast, despite the fact that he was lightly jogging.



I chose to blur this photo also because it already had motion in it, however the limbs in motion were still clear thanks to the fast shutter speed. As a result, I decided to use the motion blur tool to emphasize the movement.

FREEZE MOTION/ FAST SHUTTER SPEED



I chose this photo of Austin jumping to emphasize the pose in midair, while increasing the contrast with the red track behind him.



I thought that this image was pretty interesting since it showed the slow motion of the water fountain to the drain. As the drop of water had not yet broken up upon collision, I thought this would make a good freeze motion image.

Challenges/Successes

At first, I found the editing on Photoshop to be difficult, particularly the motion blur, but after watching the tutorials, I figured that out. In addition, I found the brightness in some of my shots to be an issue, but I figured out the brightness composition and ISO over time. Overall, I think that once I figured out how to use the settings on the camera as well as editing on Photoshop, the quality of my final product improved.


Everything is present and evident with showing and explaining how the shutter affects the subject in the picture. To move towards a A+, pictures taken outside of campus would yield more engaging and interesting pictures.













No comments:

Post a Comment