Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Digital Photography - Shutter Speed C+



Shutter:
The shutter is a curtain that can be opened and closed. The defining feature about the shutter is that the time in which it can be opened can be adjusted.

Digital Contact Print:

The top left image was selected due to the blur that is happening in the back of the image. When I first saw examples of images there was only motion blur occurring in the front of the image. To try a new angle I took pictures of traffic at night from 5-ish meters away from the road. This allowed for the crisp gate in the front of my image that is in front of the motion blur.
The second motion blur photo I selected due to the length of the shutter speed. For this image I had a 15 second exposure which allowed me to capture the movement of traffic as well as a car at the light for a few seconds. This longer exposure allowed for a fade of the car at the light to happen in the front of the picture as well as the headlights of other cars to occur int he back of the photo.
My third selected photo was a freeze motion photo. I selected this because of hoe much white space there is. I find it interesting how little is going on around the frozen coin in the center of the photo. I also like this photo because of how the bright lights of the classroom match well with me exposure to allow for a crisp image of the coin.
My final image was a zoomed in photo of a frozen coin. I like this image because of how much detail is able to be seen and the shadow coming off of the edge of the coin. Though this image is similar to my previous frozen motion photo the rigid coin standing so straight creates an interesting image.

Success/Challenges:
After this first project and my first time really using a digital camera I realized how hard photoshop is to use. Since I am very new to the program the movements and controls are hard and easy to forget. I have a new respect for photo editing and the entire photo process. Something that I felt I did successful in this project was my motion blur photos. I really like how I was able to experiment with the shutter settings to get unique and interesting photos of cars at night.

For my first image of motion blur I took a photo of a SMRT bus traveling down Bukit Tima Road in the evening. With the fence focused on in the front the bus's display board has created a blur line above where one would expect. Compared to my other motion blur image the headlights have been blowed at half a meter above the ground creating a uniform blur. In this image the blur is at the top of the image drawing the eye up past the still fence.

For my second motion blur image I have the very standard headlight blur of cars but with a half blurred parked car. With this half blurred car one is able to see through it to more motion blur of traveling car headlights in the background. This image was also taken in the evening allowing for the headlights to look like stars do to the stability and shutter speed of the photo.

In this frozen image I took the photo with little zoom allowing for a lot of white space around the frozen coin in the center. With all the light in the classroom the coin almost reflects life while it stands so still on the table. This image was take early on in the unit but I enjoy how crisp and in focus the coin is.





The blog post: The digital contact print is too large for the web page. This can be reduced in size, or make adjustments to the web page width to fit the digital contact print.
The explanation of the shutter does not explain how it affects the subject of the image. The post is not in chronological order (explanation of the shutter and how it affects the image, digital contact print, description of the digital contact print, final edited images with a description, successes and challenges to the project). There is no explanation of the final images.
The images: The two examples of freezing images are very similar and could very well be the same image zoomed in. A variation of selections would be helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment