Sunday, May 29, 2016

ADV. Digital Photo - Places

Plan of Action:

For this project I will be on a school trip in Barcelona, Spain, so I plan to shoot the city scape and show the detail in the architecture.  I want to focus more on the hidden aspects of the city that may be more generic or less unseen by tourist, and when we venture into Girona, Spain, I plan to shoot there as well.  I will have my DSLR camera with me as well as a zoom lens to allow me to get close and to really capture the details of the city.  I also plan to edit the images in black and white, as to draw more attention to the detail and less to the colors or the paints of the detail.  I want to base my work off of some from Vulture labs, such as the images below:

I chose this image because of the way there is slight symmetry and natural lines, yet your eye really focuses on the detail of the buildings itself.


I chose this image because of the reflection, however I don't plan to use reflections in my images. I mainly chose this because although there are probably people and cars driving along the bridge, the are unnoticeable so you focus on the architecture.


I chose this image because of the way the photographer really zoned in on the detail so that it could be from any building or bridge or wall.  I want like theirs for my images to be solely about the patter and the design of the building not so much the entire place itself. 

Although not all Images of Barcelona, or Spain, I chose these images because of the simplistic focus on detail, and the lack of people.  I like the repetition of patterns and the slight symmetry within both images, and I plan to focus on both of these aspects within my work.  


Think Tanks #1:

After talking with Niels, he stated that I should take perspective and point of view into account when shooting.  He also said don't photograph a ton of building at once, focus on one and its details.  In terms of editing he said to use blur and possible futures to increase the visual detail of the image, also to mess around with the black and whites of the image pre editing so that when I change it to B&w its stronger.


Digital Contact Print:


I chose these image for my final work because of the way they look.  The building carry visual weight and the architecture stands out due to a surplus of negative space, simplistic lines, or a repetition of pattern.  However all three combine together to make visually intriguing images. After talking with others in the class, they suggested to keep in mind that although the images should have similarities, after editing, f some are too alike to remove them.  They also said to edit them so that when in black and white they aren't all the same darkness or have the same tones and shades.


Final Work:












Editing Steps:


Original Image

First in camera raw, I increased all the contract and vibrancy to create color definition within the sky and more visible contrast.

Next, I turned the image to black and white, and although the camera raw editing did something, i still wasn't apply with the contrast and texture of the sky and the tower.

Next I increased the contrast and brightness to enhance the color of the tower and o draw out the blacks in the sky.  i also wanted the image to not be as dark and heavy.

Finally, I adjusted the curves of light within the image to create a slight vignette in the image that adds to the visual weight as well as drawing your eye across the image from the tower.



Successes and challenges:

Overall, I enjoyed this project a lot, but i think I enjoyed mostly seeing the images after editing because the black and white made them recreate the image in my head.  This project was pretty simple, as I normally photograph architecture, however it was a little challenging to always remember how negative space plays a point in the image.  Lastly, I found it hard to narrow own my images to get the five that I have that all cohesively make the same statement.  I honestly wouldn't change a thing and I look forward to the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment